- Severe fatigue, headache, joint pain and swelling, muscle pain, and nausea.
- Neuropsychiatric problems in some patients including anxiety, insomnia, emotional volatility, memory loss, and lack of concentration
- Immunocompromised individuals are at greater risk for more severe infections.
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Detecting the presence of Mycoplasma species DNA in serum via Polymerase Chain Reaction.
- ELISA test used to detect antibodies specific for Mycoplasma species.
CDC Treatment Recommendation
- Please consult with your physician for treatment information.
- Mycoplasma bacteria are opportunistic organisms that will typically be seen as a coinfection with Borrelia species bacterium.
- Mycoplasma fermentans can invade multiple cell types triggering an immune response and symptoms of infection.
- Mycoplasma species are resistant to many types of antibiotics because of cellular structure.